This weekend, put the cereal dishes aside and treat your family to a warm stack of pancakes. Not only is this low-fat recipe good comfort food, but it’s also a healthy and delicious way to start the day. These pancakes are so light and tasty, your family will be requesting them morning, noon and night. Enjoy!
* 1 cup wheat flour
* 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1/4 cup oat bran
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
* 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana
* 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie stick margarine, melted
* 2 teaspoons honey
* 1 large egg
* 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted optional
* Cooking spray
6 tablespoons maple syrup
1. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next four ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk and next four ingredients (buttermilk through egg); add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Fold in pecans.
2. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Serve with syrup. Makes 12 (4-inch) pancakes.