This weekend, take time to relax and linger over breakfast with your family. These healthy omelettes are easy to fix and will help get your weekend started on the right foot.
2 eggs (I would use eggbeaters)
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 ounces (2 packed cups) spinach leaves, chopped
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, water, Italian seasoning and salt.
3. Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, pepper and garlic and cook, stirring often for 4 minutes, or until the pepper starts to soften. Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute, or until the spinach is wilted. Place in a small bowl and cover.
4. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel. Coat with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in half of the egg mixture. Cook for 4 minutes, or until set. Sprinkle with half of the reserve vegetable mixture and half the cheese. Cover and cook for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Using a spatula, fold the egg mixture in half. Place on the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
5. Coat the skillet with cooking spray. Repeat with the remaining egg mixture, vegetable mixture and cheese to cook another omelette. To serve, cut each omelette in half.