This is only a feed from my current blog located on my site...

My Blog Has Moved! Please Visit My New Online Home! KnittingAndThings.com


My 14 yr old daughter Emily wrote this about 9/11

Okay, so I was seeing A LOT of stuff about 9/11 earlier.. and it really bothered me.

by Emily Jo Donovan on Friday, September 10, 2010 at 11:18pm
 9/11 was one of the most horrific things ever to happen to America. And what I mean by this is simply this: people alive on September 11, 2001, who were not killed in the attack, will forever be haunted by the memory of the people who lost their lives, and the constant arguments started regarding that terrible day. And I say America not in the way it sounds. I mean it as in, we all learned and are learning about the holocaust, right? But we didn’t live through it… We will never know what it truly felt like to starve, to be killed for no reason. To see helpless people dying.
But when 9/11 happened, we, as a country, changed.
I will never say that the holocaust was worse than 9/11. And I will never say that 9/11 was worse than the holocaust. Just because I know if I do, arguments will begin.
What I will say, though, is that on September 11th, all of America felt hopeless. We all were confused, and lost, and were hurt beyond belief.
The thing that bothers me the most about all of this is the fact that I do not remember where I was when 9/11 happened. All I know is that I was kindergarten. I do not remember the reactions or ANYTHING having to do with the attack. All I know is what I learn and what I hear and what I see.
Every single day we see something that reminds us of 9/11. The war in Iraq, people being physically and emotionally abused because they are Muslim or are being called terrorists. All people of color, Spanish, Mexican, Iraqi, etc etc etc, being checked numerous times when they board a plane.
And what bothers me about all of this is not how ignorant America has become, as a country, towards other countries and other beliefs, but how people can sit back and say that they don’t care about 9/11. That they weren’t affected so why should they ever care about it?
And it truthfully is their opinion, and we all have freedom of speech, but in my opinion, I deeply and truthfully believe that that is exactly like saying the holocaust didn’t happen.
That so many lives were lost, and because it didn’t affect you in any shape, way or form, why should you care?
It makes me sick.
It really does.
I don’t remember a single thing from that day but everywhere I go I see ignorance. People hating other religions, beliefs, countries, JUST because of 9/11. People stating that they don’t care about the lives lost. People who prosecute others, point fingers at others, and abuse they’re freedom of speech.
It makes me sick to my stomach to think that I am surrounded by such VILE people every single day of my life.