Lo-Fat Whole Grain Classic Mac and Cheese
Copyright Margot Potter
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup fat free 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup fat free milk
16 oz. 50% reduced fat cheddar
1 lb. Whole Wheat Pasta (read the packages and be sure you get a 100% wheat and not a blend.)
1. Boil pasta until it is past the al dente stage.
2. Create a roux by whisking butter and slowly integrating flour and mustard.
3. Warm the milk and 1/2 & 1/2 and whisk into roux mixture. Allow to thicken for several minutes.
4. Grate cheese and slowly stir into liquid, allowing cheese to melt.
5. Pour noodles into a 9x13 pan.
6. Pour cheese over noodles, allowing it to settle a bit and adding more until you've filled the cheese up to the edge of the pan.
7. Pour breadcrumbs over top of mac and cheese.
8. Place on a tray and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until breadcrumbs and cheese begin to brown.
Variations: add lo fat goat cheese, feta or ricotta, chopped garlic, hot sauce, broccoli...
This sauce is delicious in omelettes or over steamed veggies!